Christmas is just around the corner and I have some Danish wisdom that I’d like to share with you. It’s called Pakkeleg or the Gift Game and Danes play it at Christmas parties throughout December. It’s a super fun way to spend your Christmas Eve, before opening the real presents waiting for you under the Christmas tree.
It’s all very easy and this is what you’ll need: a dice or two, depends on how many people are playing, a timer and gifts. (if there are more than five people then you should have two dice)
Here are the rules:
- decide on a budget, under 10 euros is what you should aim for, fun maybe practical gifts, everyone should bring two or more gifts.
- make sure all of your gifts are wrapped, it’s important that no one knows what’s in the boxes.
- starts playing by placing all the gifts in the center of the table and throw the dice. Whoever gets a six can choose a gift. ( if you play with two dice, two sixes get you two gifts). When all the gifts have found an owner, the real game starts. Set a timer for 10 to 15 minutes, it depends on how intense you want your Gift Game to get.
- when the timer starts, throw the dice again, whoever gets a six can steal gifts from anyone in the game.
- steal gifts from each other until time runs out when the alarm rings.
That’s the moment when the game stops and whoever has won gifts by hitting sixes will keep them and who hasn’t must keep their cool and not forget that this is just a game 😉
– the Gift Game can be a source of quarrels, so make sure that everyone knows the rules before start playing.
– if you agree to buy something cool, do that! Don’t go home and use crap that you find lying around- everyone should invest the same time and energy in finding the gifts.